DIY Fall Wood Block Sign

This week on the blog is a DIY fall wood block sign that anyone can make!  It's probably one of the easiest DIY projects I have done and has a very minimal cost.  If you'd like me to make you the sign please let me know!  I'd be happy to put a little bit of fall into your house! :)




I took some leftover scrapwood that I had laying around in the garage and used it for this project.  If you go buy wood I would suggest 3/4" for this project.  Matthew cut the wood in 3 different sizes.  They are all 3 inches wide but the "F" block is 6 inches tall and the "L" block is 7" tall.  The "A" & "L" are both 4 inches tall.

You can determine what size you want your wood by where you are placing it in your house.  They can all be one length, but I liked the idea of them being different sizes.

My first step was to take the wood I had and paint it a darker brown, you can stain your wood if you'd like but I decided to paint it.  The paint I used was called "American Espresso" from Hobby Lobby.  That's also where I picked up my scrapbook paper.  I hit the jackpot when I went and all their paper was 50% off!



After your paint has dried I measured the scrapbook paper and cut it to the size of the wood.  Some people like to keep the wood exposed so they cut it smaller.  I wanted to cover up all my wood.  It's all about preference.

Once you've cut your scrapbook paper to size I took wood glue and paint it on the back of the paper.  DO NOT just squirt it on the back, it will seep through and will not dry evenly.  Wood glue is very sticky so be careful when you place the paper on the wood, you have to get it on the 1st try or else the paper will rip.   

***I used wood glue only because that's what I had in the house.  You can also use modge podge.  However, if you paint your wood be careful not to get modge podge on the painted wood area.  It will not dry clear and will discolor the area of the wood. 

Once I had all the paper on I let it dry and then took a piece of sandpaper and roughed up the edges.  not a lot, just enough to make it look a little worn.


The hardest part of this project is the lettering on the wood.  I took graphite paper, which you can purchase at any craft store, and placed it on the wood.  Always place the darker side of the paper towards the area you want the letter placed on.  Once you determine the location of your letter you place the letter on the paper and trace over it.  When you take the graphite paper off there is an outline of your letter!  It's okay if it's not perfect, you can fix it when you paint the letter on.

The best part of this project is you get to determine what color you want to paint the letters, the background paper and what font to use!  

After all the letters were traced I took a very small paint brush and some black paint and painted the letter on the block.

I let it dry and now I will place it on our mantel for Fall!  Happy Fall everyone! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment